Highlights from the episode on Sir Francis Bacon
- “Male” scientists probe and ravage “female” nature.
- Christian radicals funded science because of Daniel 12:9. They believed it was Last Days.
- The New World symbolizes leaving the comfort of the Mediterranean. Aristotelian science = comfort; empirical science = new.
- Society must “return” from squalid 17th century London to our right and natural state of ease and comfort. In the imagined past food was abundant, disease nonexistent, people happy and well-clothed — and knowledge as in Eden.
- Science as the path of technological advancement back to Paradise — what Bacon meant by “Knowledge Is Power”
This programme aired on 2 April 2009.
History. The news that’s never too old to be relevant.