Not talking about camping outside. I mean the elements as in the periodic table of the elements.
How did they come to be? Why are there more of some and less of others? Why does 29 protons conduct electricity 10 times better than 31 protons? Etc.
There are six salient facts that a theory of the origin of the elements must explain:
- H and He are by far the most abundant.
- Elemental abundances generally drop with increasing atomic number.
- Even atomic numbers are more common than odd atomic numbers.
- Li, Be, and B are anomalously rare.
- Fe is anomalously abundant.
- Tc, Pm, and elements above Bi are extremely scarce or nonexistent — except for U and Th.